Tuesday 30 December 2014

Been a while ... New Year's resolutions

Well, sorry, (to myself as much as any readers) that I've not been posting regularly over the past couple of months. I got a bit distracted in October with the day-job and didn't really get to properly follow-up any of the interesting stuff that I was following through Oct-Dec.

It's been an interesting period, which I'd love to blog more about, but can't easily do without tripping over the aforementioned day-job. Still, in the time, I've had a good technical grilling, returned to China after nearly 20 years and have been astonished by the scale of change and been able to give my annual guest lecture at one of the local universities.

As Christmas and the run-up is usually a manic period, for the usual festive and other family reasons I also haven't had a quiet period until now.

So, my New Year's resolution last year was to start a blog, which I've done and been quite pleased how it works. It has been a great experience and a chance to get down some of the things I have been noodling about with and great ideas from others I've noticed in the press or otherwise.

What have I learnt? Well, writing good technical posts takes a lot longer than I'd thought. However, the discipline of getting those thoughts down is really worthwhile. I have also found myself half writing posts and sort of writing them in draft and not getting to finish them almost as a thought placeholder to myself. Useful, but also less useful in terms of sharing or getting comments. So, next year, I'm going to try and post shorter stuff more regularly.

I also thought I'd blog more about completed projects, but have found myself wanting to write (if only for myself) about what I'm finding that interests me and can see this as a series of flirting interests that are connected up myself, but not so easy to see externally without context.

Anyway, my thoughts for the lull period between Christmas and New Year was to try to get some of those drafts into finished posts, so if you've been looking, thank you! There will be a bunch of posts from over the summer and odd other points that may well just start appearing!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment