Friday 17 October 2014

Silverlight Multi-Select User Control

So back to some Silverlight fun. I had a requirement for some applications I was putting together to have a multi-select drop-down that allowed typing in and selection from a list of available values. I'm sure there was some code around but I took a quick look and this didn't jump out at me immediately so I had a bit of an evening code. Here's the results. Please do take yourself and improve, please drop me a comment on this blog if you find it useful or use it for anything.

There's a demo below... try typing into the box. The version used below does not allow duplicates. This is an option in the user control.


The code files are available below:
The code is a little klunky in places and could certainly be improved. I'll try to get round to that when I have some spare time. However, it met the need that I had at the time. 

There are a number of areas for improvement, putting in disable functionality and allowing different colours for the selected items. 

There are a couple of little tricks that are worth calling out...

In a couple of places I needed to send a message to a control to get it to have a visual interaction. The easiest way I found for doing this was to use a lambda to drop it onto the dispatcher:

Dispatcher.BeginInvoke(() => options.Visibility = Visibility.Collapsed);

These are paths for the right and down arrow:

<Path x:Name="arrowright" VerticalAlignment="Center" Margin="0" Stroke="Gray" 
      Data="M2,8 L6,4 L2,0"  StrokeThickness="2"/>
<Path x:Name="arrowdown" VerticalAlignment="Center" Margin="0" Stroke="Gray" 
      Data="M8,0 L4,4 L0,0"  StrokeThickness="2" Visibility="Collapsed"/>

And this is the path for the cross symbol used in the buttons:

<Path VerticalAlignment="Center" Margin="3" Stroke="Gray" Data="M0,0 L8,8 M8,0 L0,8"  StrokeThickness="2"/>

No comments:

Post a Comment